Saturday, December 11, 2010

Out of band: vnc connection to server behind a dg834g nat

I wanted to use my dg834g for accessing my servers behind a nat with dynamic ip.

The solution was to use dynamic dns (supported natively by the router), and ultravnc with security encryption. The dynamic ip allows to have a unique name, regardless of the dynamic ip assigned to the router. Then, I needed a way to reach the vnc severs. My solution was to a assign static ip to each server in my lan (instead of relaying on dhcp), and to have different range of vnc ports for each server (from server property page). Finally, i setup a static port forwarding set of rules for those ports (for each service configure a "service" in router's content filtering, and then open the "service" in the router's firewall and send to a specific lan server).

And voila, now my servers are accessible with 2048-bit RSA keys and 256-bit AES keys security encryption.

No comments:

Post a Comment